Saturday, April 12, 2008

"One Dollar Nonsense" (A failed Reader's Digest submission)

As a college sophomore I went to Guatemala for a 6-week Spanish course. Upon arriving, I discovered three mistakes in my planning: insufficient funds, no jacket, and no razors. Fortunately, another student from my college would be arriving in a week, so the prospects of correcting my errors seemed strong.

As fate would have it, I was unable to speak to Steve directly. A guy on his hall took the call and assured me he would deliver my message. Lacking other options, I made my requests and asked him to repeat them. “Bring a warm jacket from my closet. Go to Mr. “O’s” office and ask him for an advance of $100 from my school account, and buy me some razor blades.” Assured that the message was in safe hands, I awaited Steve’s arrival.

After greeting him at the airport, I asked Steve if he had brought everything I requested. He responded, “Well, here’s your jacket, but I went to Mr. “O’s” office and he didn’t know anything about where to buy $1.00 razors.”

3 comments:

jason miller said...

You should have asked "Steve" to get your sock sleeves.

Dwight Goodwin said...

Yes, those would have been perfect with my sleeveless blue jacket. Always thinking, Jason!

Anita Marie said...

Shapoooo to the W-hall guys. :)